Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Safety as a Rideshare Driver for Uber and Lyft

Is it safe to be a rideshare driver? Is it safe to drive in Chicago?

Overall, I haven't experienced any major safety concerns, except for taxi drivers being jerk faces and feeling like traffic is going to kill me sometimes. The more you drive, the more you risk being in a car accident and the more you have to deal with idiot drivers. You just need to have patience.

I often get asked if I've been creeped on by men or had people "toss their cookies" in my car. The answer to being creeped on is no, SOMEHOW. I am usually the prime target to get creeped on, but I feel like people are more interested in talking to me. I just try to avoid the stupid drunks. I've had a few people tell me I'm cute or something, but nothing to elicit me being uncomfortable. I suggest carrying a mace and/or pepper spray just in case. I also have my keys to use as a weapon, and my martial arts skills. It's always handy to know self-defense. In terms of people being sick in my car, I now drive away from and cancel on people who look to be "sloppy" and now am going to avoid driving for major drunk events. It may be extra money, but I had a near-tragic incident on St. Patrick's day. Never again. No one has stolen from me or tried to commit a crime, but I feel like people don't really have regard for the condition of my car. Chicago also has a lot of pot holes and stupid cameras that give you tickets.

Another thing that happens sometimes is having to go to rather uncomfortable parts of the south side... sometimes at night. I do have a fear of getting shot in the south side more than I do getting robbed/hurt/sexually assaulted while driving. I once had to go to Englewood at 1:30am (on a Friday Night/Saturday Morning) and I was scared when I saw a herd of people and hoped it wasn't a gang on the streets (it wasn't thankfully). There were TONS of cops and I feel like there's worse looking areas than Englewood. I don't think Englewood forsure is under patrolled at night because I felt like I saw a cop on every corner or every other corner. Thanks for trying your best down there, cops!

Either way, I feel pretty safe, so no worries, especially for a female. None of my friends who drive have had anything happen to them either!

No comments:

Post a Comment