Thursday, March 30, 2017

Epic Uber and Lyft Ventures: 3 Months Into My New Life

It's about my 3 month aversary from being free from my corporate job and hitting the road. I surely took a leap of faith, but these adventures have surely proved to be worth it. The amount I've learned about myself and life is enormous.

I feel like I've had to do more adulting since pulling my parachute. Since I'm no longer employed by a company, that means I had to get my own insurance. We never learned any of this stuff in high school or college. To top it off, my parents didn't teach me either. I was all on my own, floundering cluelessly through the deep blue sea with some destination in mind. Several hassles and phonecalls later, I finally obtained an insurance which hopefully doesn't prove to be a piece of junk. It's definitely gratifying to accomplish these tasks on my own.

Obtaining freelance gigs is rather slow, but I am being as persistent as I can. I've obtained some income from other sources and hope Senpai notices this blog. I haven't really seen any other people execute this idea and I'd like to be the first. A lot of people think it's impossible to make it as a blogger and solely an artist, but I want to make it as possible as it can be. One of my passengers told me how being a ridesharing driver can be the new waitress job. It sure feels like it! On the other hand, with being single and having more time to "follow my dreams" as they say, I've been able to feature at more places for my storytelling and now even my flow arts/dancey light shows. If anyone wants me to feature as a storyteller, flow artist, or motivational speaker, contact me at rebecca.duxler@gmail.com - also looking for freelance writing gigs too (copywriting, blog contributions, technical writing, user interface design, social media, and I can even cook for you!)
Time and money do not grow on trees either. I've definitely had to be more selective with how I use my time and who I want to be my friends. I luckily have 2 friends at home who I see virtually every day unless I'm out of town, so at least I'm never alone. I also have to make a schedule for myself instead of running from 9 to 5... it's still a work in progress. I don't make as much money, but I'm still able to pay my bills. Using my Uber driver code, mvsja, will help me get a few extra dollars. Liking me on "Your Friendly Neighborhood Uber Driver" will help Senpai notice me more. I've also had to really learn how to take care of myself. At least I've had time to do that with being single.

Not all riders are "bad" and I haven't had any issues with creepers. I've heard of a couple other people having that issue, but I guess my bubbliness keeps them away. Otherwise, I'll put my black belt on and sayonara. I have had a few sloppy people and had someone almost puke in my car. Thankfully, I knew how to abort that happening. The lesson learned was to never drive on drunk holidays. I should just celebrate them or drive earlier in the day to avoid sloppy o'clock. The gps craps out in the loop, but I always ask for directions. I've had a couple of negative passengers or ones who have fought with their significant others, but besides for one bad egg who was super drunk and yelling at me over the phone where two females walked into my car instead of the rude man, I've had few bad eggs. I've also had to go to the south side a bit, but at least I get to see the entire city while semi fearing for my safety at times. Never enough to make me afraid to drive. I always have my friend lifeline at home who drives for Uber and Lyft too. I've received a few tips, which make me smile at the appreciation I feel. The biggest thing I've learned is more humility, especially when dealing with people. I've learned about even more walks of life than I do when I engage in my nerdy activities. Not only that, but making less money and directly interacting with people motivates me to project a positive attitude onto others even more than I already do and constantly realize how we are all human and equal no matter how much money we make. I can definitely say my happiness is tenfold, but I definitely had to learn money management as well. Making less means spending less.

Change isn't easy, but necessary! I have no regrets career changing while having no family to take care of. My friends are like my family and I'm glad I have a large support backing for my decision to shift gears!

All in all, I'm still making it with a smile, semi gracefuly adulting, and spreading the love with my stories and light shows. Happy almost May Flowers everyone! You can do anything you put your mind to. In the end, I will always be the brave warrior!

No comments:

Post a Comment