Monday, February 22, 2016

2-22-16 Lyft Ventures: Too Many Adventures, Not Enough Driving

Oh the joys of adjusting to actually having to do something besides showing up to a place to make money. I've visited with 2 friends from out of state this month, which is nice, but I need to make money or else. Waking up to drive for morning rush hour has proved very difficult since the earliest I'm used to waking up is at 7 something. In order to drive in the morning, I'd have to get up at about 5 or so in the morning to get myself ready and awake enough to drive for awhile. It's also difficult to drive when a lot of your friends don't understand what it's like to be fully independent and have to be the sole breadwinner for myself. Taxes for self-employment I'm sure are going to be absurd and without a steady paycheck, I need to bust my ass or else. Now that there are no more planned ventures, visits, major Belegarth events, etc. until the end of April, I need to focus on busting my ass to gather as much money as possible so I can enjoy my summer. At least when I drive, I get to talk to people most of the time, even though it's a lot of high level conversation. I'm on a quest to become closer to the people I have in my life now, but a lot of my friends I feel most comfortable around live out of state and I need to work and make money. I at least have my roommates; otherwise, I don't know what I'd do.

On one of my latest driving ventures, my big car and I were driving around Logan Square and received an invoice for a ride. A random California area code calls me and I answer. He mutters a few words and some vague directions to me. I eventually find him and he shows me what he needed; I thought he would have needed help carrying his groceries and wanted me to drive him and his groceries home. But nope, I end up looking like a deer in headlights at seeing a small couch. I fold my back seats down and he places his couch in my car. A few circles later because he didn't even wait for me to follow him, I eventually arrive with his couch. He thanks me and I drive off on my merry way. I'm not one to expect tips from people, but I am a Lyft driver, not a furniture shipping service. I ended up receiving a tip from someone else at one point or another, but in one of those instances, I felt like it would have been neat if I did get a tip. It's not a big deal, but I feel like these experiences help me understand the value of tipping and how it feels to be a low wage worker who mainly relies on tips for their income. I don't want to carry around the "people suck" mentality, but from a realist perspective, they can sometimes.

I also received my first "Lyft Line" ride for 2 people who had to be dropped off on the same street. I think it's pretty interesting and definitely saves gas. I have noticed as well that driving for Uber or Lyft can be a prime networking opportunity. One of my friends told me he hands out flyers for the Chicago SLAMWorks house ensemble shows to the people who drive him around. I've been able to share and gather more information about open mic nites I either currently attend or plan on attending. Meanwhile, I'm 13 rides away from getting my roommates and I $250 dollars, but keep getting held up by doctor's appointments, insurance issues, trying to go the gym, and life happening. For now, here's to working super hard and maintaining a healthy lifestyle!


No comments:

Post a Comment