Friday, February 26, 2016

2-26-16 Lyft Ventures: I FINALLY Hit 50 Rides

Well, that took forever, but after some hard work and determination, I finally attained my 50 rides. During the cold, passengers weren't as talkative as I would have expected. A lot of people seemed to be going home from band practice. One of these people going home from band practice was in a Japanese Taiko Drumming group. I feel it's ironic because I did a project during my sophomore year of college in a general education music class where we had to do a presentation on a cultural music concept. The other person I had to drive from Roscoe Village/Logan Square area to 87th and S. Chicago Street. I made a lot of money from that trip, but feared my safety. It definitely didn't look as bad as Englewood, but I'd rather not be that far not the south side of Chicago. Also, when I'm super tired and am reaching a point where I'm questioning going to sleep, I should probably listen to that instinct, especially when I drink too many energy drinks for my own good. Energy drinks are naughty; try to avoid them if possible!

Another nuance about driving for Lyft or Uber is that you have to be ok with using public bathrooms while "pretending" to be a paying customer. You also need to not have anything on your front seat because some passengers think it's "customary" to sit in the front seat. My purse and bottle of air freshener tumbled into the mud. This particular lady proceeded to tell me about her travel experiences; it made me yearn travel ventures since the farthest west I've been to recently is St. Louis, Missouri.

On another note, I am a RIDESHARING service, NOT a furniture moving service. First a small couch, then a 65 inch TV. At least I made decent money from those trips, but I feel it's absurd to ask for such a thing. I felt like Squidward in the "Spongebob Hotel" episode when there was a plaque saying "we shall never deny a guest, even the most ridiculous request". I told myself, "not the customer service", as I took the furniture into my car with a smile. During the "blizzard-pocalypse" of 2016, I actually continued to reinforce the belief of attaining more passengers past 8pm than during rush hour. The good news is, thanks to the cold and lazy people who requested for my Lyft services, I was able to tell them about my blog and nab the 50 rides I needed for attaining my bonus. Now my roommates can have money to pay for their cat's surgery...

In the meantime, I plan on never going down Michigan and Chicago Ave. again during rush hour traffic. I feel sorry for the poor lady who was in the car with me when I feared other cars were going to crash into me. It's very difficult to contain your outward expressions when you fear for your life. I'm also sorry to all of the people I drove right past in the Loop or River North. If someone tells me they're "flagging me down" while I'm trying not to get into an accident, I feel like I'm playing Where's Waldo while playing drunk Mario Kart at the same time. However, it's quite nice to pass an Ugg boot store, an Aston Martin car dealership, and a Rolls Royce car dealership. Oh the loveliness you pass through your drive. I definitely feel a lot more of Chicago now that I'm driving all over the city. More city ventures shall be happening on my journey to chasing paper and making it big. I'll see if Uber can make me some more money than Lyft. After 70 rides combined Uber and Lyft, the very last ride I did before wanting to go home to hanging with my roommates was a lady who worked in Bottle Service at the Mid. I am not too knowledgeable about the nightlife industry and most people would assume the worst about these types of people. This lady had lived in Vegas and attended major EDM festivals, works for React Presents, attended Burning Man, met major artists, and is studying Biomedical Engineering in a PHD program. Smart people be smart! Happy Weekend! Stay safe and have tons of fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment